teaching our community
health at home books
Each year, St. Francis purchases both English and Spanish language health information books from the American Institute for Preventive Medicine. These books are distributed to families within Greenville County, and provide current information on more than 200 family health topics.
In October of 2009, approximately 1,600 Health at Home® books were distributed to every family with a child in Greenville County’s K4 program. 400 of these books were Spanish translation. A survey was distributed to determine the effectiveness of the material given showed:
- 51% of families indicated that they were able to avoid one or more visits to the doctor in the past 6 months because of the Health at Home® book (22% said they were able to avoid a visit to the doctor 3-4 times)
- 40% said they decreased the number of emergency room visits made (18% specified avoiding the ER 3-4 times)
- 69% of families indicated that the Health at Home® book helped improve the quality of care given to themselves at home
- 67% of families said the Health at Home® books better prepared them for a visit with their doctor
- 58% of families thought that the Health at Home® books saved them money on medical or health care in the past 6 months and at least 67% thought it would save them money on health care in the next 6 months.
- 67% of families felt as though the Health at Home® books positively affected their health and the health of their family.
- 66% of families specified that Health at Home® books helped them to decide when to see a doctor.
- Finally, 83% indicated that they thought Health at Home® is a good source of health care advice.
lifewise for seniors
St. Francis' senior adult program, LifeWise, holds hundreds of seminars and events each year, serving nearly 4,500 local particpants. LifeWise offers monthly Lunch & Learn programs led by local physicians and health care professionals, as well as the annual HeartWise pgoram and "WiseWomen" and "WiseGuys" programs focusing on women's and men's health, respectively. Learn more about LifeWise >>
Approximately 40,000 hours are dedicated to educational programming for our community members, including classes like Adult and Child CPR, Hip and Knee Pain seminars, Childbirth and Parenting, and even therapeutic yoga. Many of these classes are provided at no cost. Check out our Class Calendar >>
St. Francis also educates the community with a speakers bureau, online health library, downloadable health resources, physician podcasts and e-newsletters that give you the latest in health news, right to your inbox. Learn more >>