Nutritional counseling for people with cerebral palsy

Children with cerebral palsy (CP) who have problems eating or who are not gaining weight and developing as other children their age may need evaluation by a registered dietitian. These health professionals can help determine the specific reason for the nutritional imbalance. Typically, in people with CP, the problem relates to:

  • An inability to chew because their teeth and jaws do not fit together correctly.
  • An inability to control their mouth muscles to chew and swallow food properly.
  • Pain or unusual feelings in their mouths and jaws when eating.

A registered dietitian can offer suggestions for:

  • Changes in a person's diet.
  • Ways to prepare food to make it easier to chew and swallow.
  • Ways to feed a person with cerebral palsy.
  • Vitamins and other supplements that may be needed.

Last Updated: October 14, 2008

related physicians

related services

Bon Secours International| Sisters of Bon Secours USA| Bon Secours Health System

This information does not replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise disclaims any warranty or liability for your use of this information. Your use of this information means that you agree to the Terms of Use. Privacy Policy. How this information was developed to help you make better health decisions.

© 1995-2010 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.