John R. Hughes, MD - Addiction Psychiatry
Dr. John R. Hughes reviews medical content for Healthwise, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help people make better health decisions. His major focus has been clinical research on tobacco use. Dr. Hughes received the Ove Ferno Award for research in nicotine dependence and the Alton Ochsner Award Relating Smoking and Health. He is a co-founder and past president of the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco and the Association for the Treatment of Tobacco Use and Dependence. He has written over 350 publications on nicotine and other drug dependencies and is one of the 25 most-cited tobacco scientists. Dr. Hughes has been a consultant on tobacco policy to the World Health Organization, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, and the White House.
- General Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Addiction Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- MD: University of Mississippi Medical School, Jackson, MS, 1975
- Internship in Internal Medicine: University of Mississippi Medical School, Jackson, MS, 1975–1976.
- Residency in Psychiatry: University of Mississippi Medical School, Jackson, MS, 1976–1978.
- Residency in Psychiatry: University of Pittsburgh, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, 1978–1979
- NIH Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Minnesota School of Public Health, 1979–1981
- Assistant Professor, University of Minnesota Dept. of Psychiatry and Division of Epidemiology, 1981–1985
- University of Vermont, Burlington, Departments of
Psychiatry, Psychology, and Family Practice:
- Associate Professor, 1985–1991
- Professor, 1991–present
- Association for the Treatment of Tobacco Use and Dependence
- Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco
- Hughes JR, Stead LF, Lancaster T (2007). Antidepressants for smoking cessation. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (1).
- Hughes JR (2009). How confident should we be that smoking cessation treatments work? Addiction, 104(10): 1637–1640.
- Hughes JR (2009). Nicotine-related disorders. In B Sadock, V Sadock, and P Ruiz, eds., Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry, 9th ed., pp 1353–1360. New York: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.
- Hughes J, Weiss R (2009). Are the differences in the guidelines for the treatment of nicotine dependence and non-nicotine dependence justified? Addiction, 104(12): 1951–1957.
Last Updated: January 27, 2010