Barry L. Scurran, DPM - Podiatry and Podiatric Surgery
Dr. Barry L. Scurran reviews medical content for Healthwise, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help people make better health decisions. Dr. Scurran has been affiliated with the Permanente Medical Group in Northern California since 1974 and currently serves as Physician-in-Chief for the Greater Southern Alameda Area. He served as chief of Podiatric Surgery from 1975 to 1993 and was named chief of Professional Education in 1989, chief of Clinical Information Systems in 1995, director of Physician Support in 1998, and 2nd assistant physician-in-chief in 2000. He served as a clinical instructor at Stanford University School of Medicine from 1987 to 1993 and clinical associate professor of surgery at the California College of Podiatric Medicine from 1978 to 1991.
Dr. Scurran is the past president of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons and the California Podiatric Medical Association and served two terms on the Board of Directors of the American Board of Podiatric Surgery.
Dr. Scurran is a well-known lecturer at local, national, and international scientific meetings. He has served as an expert analyst for the Foot and Ankle Quarterly, is on the editorial advisory board of The Lower Extremity, and is editor of the textbook Foot and Ankle Trauma, first and second editions.
Healthwise Knowledgebase Topics Reviewed
- Hammer, Claw, and Mallet Toes
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Morton's Neuroma
- Ingrown Toenail
- University of Florida College of Medicine, 1967–1968
- DPM: Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine, 1973
- Residencies: Levine Hospital, Hayward, CA, and California College of Podiatric Medicine, San Francisco, 1973–1974
- Clinical Instructor, Stanford University School of Medicine, 1987–1993
- Clinical Associate Professor, Podiatric Surgery, California College of Podiatric Medicine, San Francisco, 1978–1991
- American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons
- American Podiatric Medical Association
- California Podiatric Medical Association