William M. Gilbert, MD - Maternal-Fetal Medicine
Dr. William M. Gilbert reviews medical content for Healthwise, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help people make better health decisions. Dr. Gilbert is an obstetrician and gynecologist with additional training and certification in maternal-fetal medicine. He is the Regional Medical Director of Women's Services at Sutter Health and a professor in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of California, Davis.
In 1996 and 2004 Dr. Gilbert received the APGO Excellence in Teaching Award for Medical Student Teaching, and in 1995 and 2003 he received the CREOG Faculty Teaching Award for Outstanding Resident Teaching. Dr. Gilbert is widely published in peer-reviewed journals and books.
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology—1990, 1999
- Diplomate, Maternal-Fetal Medicine, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology—1991, 1999
Healthwise Knowledgebase Topics Reviewed
- Rh Sensitization During Pregnancy
- Preeclampsia and High Blood Pressure During Pregnancy
- Preterm Labor
- Placenta Abruptio
- Placenta Previa
- Breech Position and Breech Birth
- MD: University of Missouri, Columbia, MO, 1978–1982
- Residency: Georgetown University, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Washington, DC, 1982–1986
- Fellowship: Dreyfus Foundation Fellowship, King's College Hospital, London, England, 1986–1987
- Fellowship in Maternal-Fetal Medicine: University of California, San Diego, CA, 1987–1989
- Professor, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of California, Davis, CA, 1999–Present
- American Gynecological and Obstetrical Society
- American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine
- Society for Gynecologic Investigation
- Society for the Study of Fetal and Neonatal Physiology
- Perinatal Research Society
- Gilbert WM, Nesbitt NS, Danielsen B (1999). Associated factors in 1611 cases of brachial plexus injury. Obstetrics and Gynecology, 93(4): 536–540.
- Gilbert WM, Danielsen B (1999). Amniotic fluid embolism: Decreased mortality in a population based study. Obstetrics and Gynecology, 93(6): 973–977.
- Towner DT, Castro MA, Eby-Wilkins E, Gilbert WM (1999). Effect of mode of delivery in nulliparous women on neonatal intracranial injury. New England Journal of Medicine, 341(23): 1709–1714.
- Gilbert WM, Nesbitt NS, Danielsen B (2003). The cost of prematurity: Quantification by gestational age and birthweight. Obstetrics and Gynecology, 102(3): 488–492.
- Gilbert WM, Hicks SM, Boe NB, Danielsen B (2003). Vaginal versus cesarean delivery for breech presentation in California: A population based study. Obstetrics and Gynecology, 102(5, Part 1): 911–917.
- Gilbert WM, Jandial D, Field NT, Bigelow P, Danielsen B (2004). Birth outcomes in teenage pregnancies. Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine, 16(3): 265–270.
- Gilbert WM, Young AL, Danielsen B. (2007). Pregnancy Outcomes in Women with Chronic Hypertension: A Population-based Study. Journal of Reproductive Medicine. 52(11) 1046-51.
- Gilbert WM (1999). Assessment of fetal well-being. In BW Goetzman, RP Wennberg, eds., Neonatal Intensive Care Handbook, 3rd ed., pp. 7–15. St. Louis: Mosby.
Last Updated: January 27, 2010