Philip Belitsky, BA, MD, FRCSC - Urology
Dr. Philip Belitsky reviews medical content for Healthwise, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help people make better health decisions. Dr. Belitsky is a professor emeritus in the Department of Urology at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia. He has been director of Transplantation Services at Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre in Halifax. He has been the chairperson on many university and hospital committees. In addition, he has been a visiting professor at several universities in Canada and the United States and abroad.
Dr. Belitsky has been a principal or co-investigator for multiple transplantation studies. He also has been an invited speaker at numerous medical conferences in Canada and the United States and internationally.
Dr. Belitsky is the inaugural chairperson for the Canadian Council for Donation and Transplantation and was the co-chairperson for the National Coordinating Committee on Organ Tissue Donation, Distribution, and Transplantation. He was also a member of the editorial board for the Canadian Journal of Urology.
- Fellow, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- Specialist in Urology, College of Physicians and Surgeons of the Province of Quebec
Healthwise Knowledgebase Topics Reviewed
- Undescended Testicle
- Erection Problems
- Urinary Incontinence in Women
- Urinary Incontinence in Men
- MDCM: McGill University, Montreal, QC, 1963
- Rotating Internship: Montreal General Hospital, Montreal, QC, 1963–1964
- Assistant Resident in Surgery: Tufts-New England Medical Center, Boston, MA, 1964–1966
- Research Fellow in Surgery: Harvard University and Peter Bent Brigham Hospital (now part of the Brigham and Women's Hospital), Boston, MA 1966–1967
- Research Fellow in Urology: Royal Victoria Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, QC, 1967–1968
- Assistant Resident and Resident: Urology, Royal Victoria Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, QC, 1968–1971
- Fellow in Transplantation: University of Colorado at Denver, Denver, CO, 1971
- Fellow in Transplantation: Department of Experimental Pathology, St. Mary's Hospital Medical School, London, England, 1972
- Professor: Department of Urology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, 1986–present
- Staff Urologist, Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre, Halifax, NS
- Consultant, IWK-Grace Health Centre, Halifax, NS
- Director of Transplantation Services, Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre, Halifax, NS
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
- American Society of Transplant Surgeons
- American Urological Association
- Canadian Academy of Urological Surgeons
- Canadian Medical Association
- Canadian Society of Transplantation
- Canadian Urological Association
- Medical Society of Nova Scotia
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- The Transplantation Society
- Urologic Society for Transplantation and Vascular Surgery
- MacDonald AS, Rapamune Global Study Group (2001). A worldwide, phase III, randomized, controlled, safety and efficacy study of a sirolimus/cyclosporine regimen for prevention of acute rejection in recipients of primary mismatched renal allografts. Transplantation, 71: 271–280.
- Mahalati K, Belitsky P, Kiberd B, West K, Fraser A, MacDonald AS, McAlister V, Lawen JG (2001). Approaching the therapeutic window for cyclosporine in kidney transplantation: A prospective study. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, 12: 828–833.
- Abrams M, Belitsky P (2001). Systematic finger guided transrectal needle biopsy of the prostate: Alternative to TRUS guided biopsies in clinical practice. Canadian Journal of Urology, 8(5): 1365–1370.
- Barama A, Oza U, Panek R, Belitsky P, MacDonald AS, Lawen JG, McAlister V, Kiberd B (2000). Effect of recipient sensitization (peak PRA) on graft outcome in haploidentical living related kidney transplantation. Clinical Transplantation, 14(3): 212–217.
- Dominguez J, Clase C, Mahalati K, MacDonald AS, McAlister V, Belitsky P, Kiberd B, Lawen JG (2000). Is routine ureteric stenting needed in kidney transplantation? A randomized trial. Transplantation, 70(4): 597–601.
- Belitsky P, Dunn S, Johnston A, Levy G (2000). Impact of absorption profiling on efficacy and safety of cyclosporin therapy in transplant recipients. Clinical Pharmacokinetics, 39(2): 117–125.
- McLellan A, Belitsky P, Fischer T (2000). Perinephric abscess presenting as chronic diarrhea. Canadian Journal of Urology, 7(2): 983–985.