Steven K. Patterson, BSc, DDS, MPH - Dentistry
Dr. Steven Patterson reviews medical content for Healthwise, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help people make better health decisions. Dr. Patterson is on the faculty of medicine and dentistry at the University of Alberta and is codirector of the Tobacco Cessation Clinic at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta. He serves as director of the Dental Public Health Centre and is the Regional Dental Officer of Health at several regional health authorities in Canada.
Dr. Patterson is actively involved in the Department of Dentistry, where he serves on several committees. He also is actively involved in the Canadian Dental Association and is a member of the Federal/Provincial/Territorial Dental Directors Working Group and President of the Canadian Association of Public Health Dentistry.
Dr. Patterson is an accomplished speaker who presents papers at local, national, and international conferences. He also has provided public education through TV and radio on topics such as tobacco cessation and careers in dentistry.
Dr. Patterson’s present research activities include the effect of fluoride varnish/sealant applications in native communities, delivery of distance health services via telehealth technology, tobacco cessation activities in dental practice, ethics education for health professionals, provision of dental services, and education of dentists on preventive services.
Healthwise Knowledgebase Topics Reviewed
- Basic Dental Care
- Tooth Decay
- Abscessed Tooth
- Gum Disease
- Wisdom Tooth Problems
- Mouth and Dental Injuries
- Toothache and Gum Problems
- Canker Sores
- DDS: Dental Surgery, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, 1986
- MPH: Public Health, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 1992–1996
- Certificate: Addictions Studies, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, 1998–2001
- Director, Continuing Dental Education, University of Alberta, Department of Dentistry, Edmonton, AB, 1988–2001
- Course Coordinator and Lecturer: University of Alberta, Department of Dentistry, Edmonton, AB, 1995–present
- American Association of Public Health Dentistry
- American Dental Education Association
- Canadian Association of Public Health Dentistry
- Canadian Dental Association
- Canadian Public Health Association
- Central Alberta Dental Society
- LDS Academy of Dentists
- Professional Ethics in Dentistry Network (PEDNET)
- Provincial Health Ethics Network (PHEN)
- Patterson S, Botchway C (1998). Dental screening using telehealth technology: A pilot study. Journal of the Canadian Dental Association, 64(11): 806–810.
- Patterson S, Thompson G (1990). Priorities for continuing education. Journal of the Canadian Dental Association, 56(12): 1077–1080.