Paul D. Traughber, MD - Diagnostic Radiology
Dr. Traughber reviews medical content for Healthwise, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help people make better health decisions. He is a radiologist with additional fellowship training in interventional radiology and cross-sectional imaging, including musculoskeletal and body MRI. Dr. Traughber is recognized for his pioneering work in musculoskeletal MRI as well as his work in diagnosis and prevention of osteoporosis. He was on the staff at St. Alphonsus Regional Medical Center Radiology Department in Boise, Idaho, from 1987 through 2006. He continues to be an active staff member at McCall Memorial Hospital in McCall, Idaho.
Dr. Traughber has held academic appointments at the University of Washington as clinical faculty and the University of Utah as clinical associate professor of radiology. He is the author of numerous academic studies and reports focusing on interventional radiology, ultrasound, and musculoskeletal imaging. He has been named to Best Doctors in America multiple times, first in 1996 and most recently in 2009–2010.
Radiology images used in the Healthwise Knowledgebase are provided by Dr. Traughber.
Healthwise Knowledgebase Topics Reviewed
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) of the Spine
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) of the Knee
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) of the Shoulder
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) of the Brain
- CT Scan of the Body
- CT Scan of the Head
- CT Angiography
- Pelvic Ultrasound
- Abdominal Ultrasound
- Doppler Ultrasound
- Breast Ultrasound
- Thyroid and Parathyroid Ultrasound
- Extremity X-ray
- Chest X-ray
- Abdominal X-ray
- Bone Biopsy
- MD: Oregon Health Sciences University, 1982
- Internship in Internal Medicine: University of Utah Medical Center, 1983
- Residency in Radiology: University of Utah Medical Center, 1984–1986
- In-House Fellowship in Interventional Radiology and Body Imaging: University of Utah Medical Center, 1986–1987
- Visiting Fellowship in Musculoskeletal and Body MRI: Hospital of University of Pennsylvania, 1987
- American Board of Radiology
- American Board of Radiology, Certificate of Added Qualifications in Vascular and Interventional Radiology, 1995
- American Roentgen Ray Society
- Idaho State Medical Association
- Southwest Idaho Medical Society
- Shea KG, Apel PJ, Pfeiffer RP, Traughber PD (2007). Anatomy of the proximal tibia in pediatric and adolescent patients: Implications for ACL reconstruction and prevention of physeal arrest. Knee Surgery, Sports, Traumatology, Arthroscopy, 15(4): 320–327.
- Coughlin MJ, Grimes JS, Traughber PD, Jones CP (2006). Comparison of radiographs and CT scans in the prospective evaluation of the hindfoot arthrodesis. Foot and Ankle International, 27(10): 780–787.
- Shea KG, Apel PJ, Pfeiffer RP, Showalter LD, Traughber PD. (2002). Tibial attachment of the anterior cruciate ligament in pediatric and adolescent patients: Analysis of magnetic resonance imaging. Knee Surgery, Sports, Traumatology, Arthroscopy, 10(2): 102–108.
- Traughber PD (1999). Imaging of the foot and ankle. In E Mann, M Coughlin, eds., Surgery of the Foot, 7th ed., pp. 51–114. St. Louis: Mosby-Year Book.
- Traughber PD, Graham E (1994). Absence of color flow Doppler signal in appendicitis. Radiology, 161(3): 906.
- Traughber PD, Goodwin TE (1992). Shoulder MRI: Arthroscopic correlation with emphasis on partial tears. Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography, 16(1): 129–133.
Last Updated: January 27, 2010