Larry A. Latson, MD - Pediatric Cardiology and Critical Care
Dr. Larry Latson reviews medical content for Healthwise, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help people make better health decisions. Dr. Latson is a pediatrician who is board-certified in both pediatric cardiology and pediatric critical care. He serves as Director of the Pediatric and Congenital Heart Diseases Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory for the Cleveland Clinic. His primary interests include pediatric cardiology, congenital heart disease, and pediatric interventional catheterization procedures.
Dr. Latson has been the recipient of the Best Doctors in America award from Woodward/White, Inc., in 1994 and 1996/97 and again by Good Housekeeping. He is the author of over 100 peer-reviewed papers related to pediatric and congenital heart disease.
Dr. Latson is actively involved in research and has published numerous articles, book chapters, and abstracts. He is the national principal investigator on the FDA trial, which has led to the approval of the Helex Septal Occluder as a transcatheter treatment of atrial septal defect. He is frequently invited to speak at international/national/regional meetings and panel discussions.
- American Board of Pediatrics—1981
- American Board of Pediatrics, Sub-Board of Pediatric Cardiology—1983
- American Board of Pediatrics, Sub-Board of Pediatric Critical Care—1987, 1995, 2002
- MD: Baylor College of Medicine, 1976
- Internship in Pediatrics: Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, 1976–1977
- Residency in Pediatrics: Baylor College of Medicine, 1977–1978
- Fellowship in Pediatric Cardiology: Baylor College of Medicine, 1978–1981
- Director, Pediatric Congenital Heart Diseases Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory, Cleveland Clinic, 1994–present
- Professor, Department of Pediatrics and Internal Medicine, Ohio State University, 1995–present
- Director of Pediatric Catheterization Laboratory, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 1993–present
- The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Attending Staff
- Mt. Sinai Medical Center, Consulting Staff
- Fairview General Hospital, Consulting Staff
- MetroHealth Medical Center, Consulting Staff
- Meridia Hillcrest, Consulting Staff
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American College of Cardiology, Fellow
- American Heart Association
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation
- Midwest Pediatric Cardiology Society
- Midwest Society for Pediatric Research
- Society of Pediatric Echocardiology
- Society for Cardiac Angiography and Interventions
- Latson LA (1998). The CardioSEAL device: History, techniques, results. Journal of Interventional Cardiology, 11: 501–505.
- Latson LA (1997). Atrial septal defect. In JH Moller, JIE Hoffman, eds., Pediatric Cardiovascular Medicine. New York: Churchill Livingstone.
- Latson LA (1998). Structural disease chapter of Coarctation of the aorta. In RL Collins-Nakia, ed., PAACCSAP CD-ROM Program, chap. 5, section 4. Bethesda, MD: American College of Cardiology.