Renée H. Martin, PhD, FCCMG - Medical Genetics
Dr. Renée Martin reviews medical content for Healthwise, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help people make better health decisions. Dr. Martin is a professor in the Department of Medical Genetics and Associate Director of the Institute for Maternal and Child Health at the University of Calgary in Calgary, Alberta. Dr. Martin supervised postdoctoral fellows, research fellows, and instructed residents in her genetic counseling clinic.
Dr. Martin has reviewed grants for the National Institutes of Health, NATO, the Medical Research Council of Canada, Health and Welfare Canada, March of Dimes, British Columbia Health Care Research Foundation, and other Canadian and United States organizations. She has provided many continuing education courses for nurses and physicians and has been an invited speaker at many national and international medical conferences. Dr. Martin has reviewed articles for a number of American and Canadian professional journals.
Currently, Dr. Martin serves on the editorial board for Systems Biology in Reproductive Medicine, Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology, and the Canada Research Chairs’ College of Reviewers. She is an executive board member of the Prenatal Genetic Diagnosis International Society. She was awarded the Canada Research Chair in Genetics in 2002 and was elected a fellow of the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences in 2006.
Healthwise Knowledgebase Topics Reviewed
- Genetic Testing
- DNA Fingerprinting
- Galactosemia Testing
- Tay-Sach's Disease
- Tay-Sach's Screening
- Professor: Medical Genetics, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, 1988–present
- Associate Professor: Pediatrics, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, 1982–1988
- Assistant Professor: Pediatrics, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, 1978–1982
- American Society for Human Reproduction and Embryology
- American Society of Human Genetics
- Canadian College of Medical Geneticists
- Canadian Fertility and Andrology Society
- Canadian Genetics Society
- European Society of Human Genetics
- European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology
- International Society of Prenatal Genetic Diagnosis
- Martin RH, Rademaker AW, Greene C, Ko E, Hoang T, Barclay L, Chernos J (2003). A comparison of the frequency of sperm chromosome abnormalities in men with mild, moderate, and severe oligozoospermia. Biology of Reproduction, 69(2): 535–539.
- Sun F, Oliver-Bonet M, Liehr T, Starke H, Ko E, Rademaker A, Navarro J, Benet J, Martin RH (2004). Human male recombination maps for individual chromosomes. American Journal of Human Genetics, 74(3): 521-531.
- Martin RH (2005). FISH—Human sperm cells. In J Fuchs et al., eds., Encyclopedia of Medical Genomics and Proteomics, pp. 478–481. New York: Marcel Decker.
- Martin RH (2005). Mechanisms of nondisjunction in human spermatogenesis. Cytogenetics and Genome Research, 111(3–4): 245–249.
- Oliver-Bonet M, Turek P, Sun F, Ko E, Martin RH (2005). Temporal progression of recombination in human males. Molecular Human Reproduction, 11(7): 517–522.