Stanford T. Shulman, MD - Pediatric Infectious Diseases
Dr. Stanford T. Shulman reviews medical content for Healthwise, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help people make better health decisions. Dr. Shulman is a Virginia H. Rogers professor of pediatrics at Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois. He also is chief of the Division of Infectious Diseases at Children's Memorial Hospital in Chicago.
A longtime member and past chair of the American Heart Association Committee on Rheumatic Fever, Kawasaki Disease, and Endocarditis, he is also past-chair of the Section of Infectious Diseases of the American Academy of Pediatrics. Currently, Dr. Shulman is president of the Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society.
Dr. Shulman has been a visiting professor at many medical schools across the United States and has been an invited speaker at numerus national and international medical conferences.
Dr. Shulman serves as editor-in-chief of Pediatric Annals and coeditor of Concise Reviews of Pediatric Infectious Diseases. Dr. Shulman has received research support from the National Institutes of Health for Group A streptococcal research.
- MD: University of Chicago Medical School, Chicago, IL, 1967
- Internship and Residency: Pediatrics, University of Chicago Hospitals and Clinics, University of Chicago, 1967–1969
- Chief Resident: Pediatrics, University of Chicago Hospitals and Clinics, University of Chicago, 1969–1970
- Fellowship: Research, Institute for Child Health, London, England, 1970
- Fellowship: Pediatric Immunology and Infectious Diseases, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL, 1970–1972
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Pediatric Society
- Pediatric Infectious Disease Society
- Society for Pediatric Research
- Shulman ST (1999). Pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorders associated with streptococci (PANDAS). Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, 18(3): 281–282.
- Barron KS, Shulman ST, eds. (1999). Report of the National Institutes of Health Workshop on Kawasaki Disease. Journal of Rheumatology, 26(1): 170–190.
- Stockheim J, Chadwick EG, Kessler S, Amer M, Abdel-Haq N, Dajani AS, Shulman ST (1998). Are the Duke criteria superior to the Beth Israel criteria for the diagnosis of infective endocarditis in children? Clinical Infectious Disease, 27(6): 1451–1456.
- Shulman ST, Tanz RF, Gerber MA (1998). Streptococcal pharyngitis. In D Stevens, EL Kaplan, eds., Streptococcal Infections. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Shulman ST, Phair JP, Peterson L, Warren J, eds. (1997). Biologic and Clinical Basis of Infectious Diseases, 5th ed. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders.